"Early area settler George Nickle and his wife, Dora (Haggard), raised their family in a dugout home in Wheeler County, for his Irish Heritage and for its symbolism of luck and courage. George suggested "Shamrock" for a post office approved for their home in 1890. The name was retained when the town of Shamrock was platted along the Rock Island Railroad built through the county in 1902.
Shamrock Bandmaster Glenn A. Truax envisioned the town capitalizing on its Irish name by producing a one day celebration to draw thousands of visitors to the "Irish City". With the help of the Shamrock boosters club, the first St. Patrick's Day festival was celebrated in 1938, linking the local celebration with the fest day of the Patron Saint of Ireland. The first observance featured such free attractions as a parade, street dance, matinees at the Liberty and Texas theaters, a massed band concert of five hundred pieces from twelve cities, and historical and dramatic presentations. Attracking about 12,000 people to a town of less than 4,000. The follow year attendance topped 30,000, with parade spectators positioned along streets and the roofs of downtown buildings.
The annual event cvontinued until it was suspended during World War II and again during the Korean War. The Chamber of Commerce took over sponsorship in 1952. Shamrock's St. Patrick's Day Celebration has welcomed many state and national figures in politics, sports, music, space science, and entertainment. It has evolved to a multiple day affair, retaining many original activities and adding several others that have become annual tradition and an important part of the economy. In 2013, the Texas Legislature adopted house concurrent resolution 83, proclaiming Shamrock's Celebration the Official St. Patrick's Day celebration for the State of Texas." - Marker and historical text owned and provided by the Texas Historical Commission.